Friday, June 3, 2011

Meet my plate



The USDA released new eating guidelines this week. They have retired the food pyramid we all grew up learning about and replaced it with an image of a plate. Personally, I really like this idea. I think it helps people truly visualize how their plate should look. Plus, it does a good job of pointing out that grains should only be about 1/4 of your plate. Gone are the days where we all got to carbo-load all day and justify it with "but the food pyramid says I need 6-10 servings"...

I perused the new website as well today and was pleasantly surprised by how much information was available. I think the USDA has done a really good job keeping the information simple, providing tips on how to make your diet healthier, and even including tools to help you track your food or plan meals. If you haven't yet, I suggest you venture over to choosemyplate.gov and check out all the info!

One of my favorite parts was the Key Consumer Message that shows up on screens throughout the website. I appreciate that they encourage you to enjoy food, because it should be enjoyed!

Key Consumer Messages:
● Enjoy your food, but eat less.
● Avoid oversized portions.
● Drink water instead of sugary drinks.

No comments: