Thursday, February 2, 2012

Boulevard Brewery Tour


Last weekend, C and I got to go on the Boulevard Brewery Tour with 6 of our friends. This is something we've been wanting to do for a really long time, but these tours book up fast. Finally, back in October, C got online and picked one of the first available dates. He reserved 8 spots and we told our friends to mark their calendars...3 months in advance. This helps build up excitement, right?
The group, minus C (he's behind the camera) at the Employee Bar


This is the third brewery tour I've been to. In 2006, I went on the Heineken tour in Amsterdam. I guess technically it's the "Heineken Experience" in the former brewery. There was still free beer and a lot of information about how the beer is made. I call it a brew tour. In 2009, C and I went on the Anheuser Busch tour in St. Louis. And now we can finally cross the Boulevard tour off our list. Seriously, this was on my 26 before 27 list! Which means, despite getting slightly drunk on the free beer after the tour followed by margaritas and a late lunch at Ponaks, I can actually call that afternoon productive. I crossed something off my list. Then I went home and took a nap.


Joel in the Barrel Room

Overall we really enjoyed the tour. The tour guides were volunteers, or at least that's what they told us. They seemed really informative and entertaining. It's amazing to hear all the cool green initiatives Boulevard has, as well as seeing how they've built their new facility for sustainability. They are a zero-landfill company, meaning they have no trash cans in the facility. The only trash cans are in the bathrooms. If you didn't know it already, Boulevard is also one of the partners in the purple Ripple Glass recycling bins you see around KC. So be sure to recycle all those great boulevard bottles (which are already made of recycled glass) at your nearest purple bin! And checkout the Boulevard Website to read more about their sustainability efforts.

Which brew tours do you recommend? All of them?

The start of our drunken Saturday afternoon. Each person gets this much for free!

No comments: