Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cauliflower Soup!



I made up a recipe tonight and it was so good that I wanted to share it right away. Otherwise, I might forget, or get busy sharing other recipes, and the world (or my 13 followers) would never know how good cauliflower soup is. That would be a shame.

I've read a few different recipes for cauliflower soup so I created this one based on what I remembered reading. It was smooth and creamy and quite tasty. I will definitely make this again. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's super healthy. I mean, there's a whole head of cauliflower in this. How can it not be healthy?


Pureed Cauliflower Soup
makes 4 small bowls

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 leek, sliced thinly
1 head cauliflower, chopped coarsely
3 cups chicken broth

Directions:
1. In a 4 quart pot or larger, saute the onion and leek in the olive oil for about 3 minutes. Add the cauliflower and cook another 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth and cook 10-15 minutes, until cauliflower is tender.
2. Use an immersion blender or a normal blender to puree until smooth. If you use a regular blender, blend about half the soup first and slowly add the remainder until all is blended. Be sure to hold the lid on with a towel to avoid any possible burns. (this has never happened to me but I read this warning on almost every recipe I read that involves blending hot foods, so I thought I would pass the warning along)

We topped ours with some leftover turkey bacon we had from last night's salad dinner. C said he would use the bacon again (shocking, I know) but I wouldn't. I felt like the texture of the turkey bacon distracted me from the creaminess of the soup.

No comments: