Monday, January 23, 2012

Kansas City Restaurant Week

It’s Restaurant Week in Kansas City! This is one of our favorite weeks around here. We have participated in it for the past 3 years (maybe 4?) and have had great experiences. Last year we tried 3 new restaurants in one week. This year, out of respect for our budget and our waistlines, we are only doing 1 dinner and possibly a lunch.

We kicked off restaurant week on opening night with dinner at Le Fou Frog in the Rivermarket. It was awesome! Not only was the food good, but the atmosphere was great. It’s a small restaurant, overcrowded with tables, giving it a true European feel. We were lucky enough to have Jean Pierre as our waiter (yes, that’s his real name). He was a hilarious Frenchman, probably in his fifties, from Orleans. If you eat at Le Fou Frog, you should ask to sit at one of his tables. It’s worth the wait.

The down side to restaurant week is the limited menu. While there is a benefit to trying a 3 course meal at a fixed price of $30, it does limit what you can try. Le Fou Frog serves both kangaroo and ostrich. C and I had ostrich at the wedding we went to in Chablis this summer and it was very good. We are interested in trying the kangaroo, but since it’s not part of the fixed menu, we’ll have to return at a later date.

I had the potato and leek soup for my first course, C had the lobster bisque. I tried both soups. Mine was very good. C’s tasted like lobster, which apparently is a good thing for people who like seafood. That isn’t me.

For my main course, I had the pork loin. C had the salmon. My pork was okay, nothing spectacular. The sauce that came on the plate was pretty tasty though and the mashed potatoes were my favorite. C’s salmon came on a bed of risotto. Our friend with us also got the salmon and he devoured it within minutes. The guys raved about how good the salmon was. I tasted the risotto, but it tasted a little too much like the salmon it was holding up, in my opinion. Again, maybe a good thing if you like salmon.

For dessert, I had the Gateau d'Opera. C and R had the Lemon Tart, and our friend M had the Mont Blanc Chestnut. I didn’t try M’s dessert, but he enjoyed it. The Lemon Tart was pretty good, but I prefer chocolate desserts and was thrilled with mine. Look at it. Doesn’t it look heavenly?



Restaurant Week runs through next weekend so check out the website to see which restaurants are participating and go have a great meal! Plus, a portion of the proceeds benefit Harvesters, so you can justify this expense as your effort at helping those in need.

If you want to check out Le Fou Frog, do so on a Friday or Saturday night. Your dinner will also come with entertainment! We were serenaded 3 times throughout our meal by various members of the kitchen and wait staff. This might happen during the week too, but I know for sure it happens on Friday and Saturday nights.

No comments: