Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Slow Cooker: Sausage and Peppers

I stepped in dog poop on our run tonight. True story. I didn't know about it until I got home and took my shoes off. This is why you don't run in the dark. Or maybe my neighbors shouldn't let their dogs poo on the sidewalk. Ugh.

Good thing I had dinner ready in the Crock Pot when I got home so I had that extra time to clean my shoe. Night 3 of 5 and we're going strong. C is loving that he has minimal dishes to do each night. I'm loving having leftovers for lunch.

Tonight I made sausage and vegetables. We make a variation of this dish once every couple of months on the stove or in the oven so I was interested in trying it in the slow cooker. I found a recipe for it on A Year Of Slow Cooking and used her suggestion for adding the chicken broth. Otherwise I just added whatever I had around the pantry and fridge.

Sausage and Vegetables
serves 3

Ingredients:
3 sausage links (use what you like. Chicken or Turkey sausage is obviously healthier, but I had trouble finding a good flavor in those so I used Italian seasoning beef links)
1 large sweet potato (straight from my momma's garden!)
2 stalks celery
2 bell peppers
1/2 cup baby carrots
4 boiler onions (I just had these leftover from a meal last week. White or Yellow Onions would work just as well here)
1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup white wine (optional)

Directions:
Cut all veggies into 2-inch chunks and add to crock pot. Slice the sausage and add it to the pot. Add broth and wine. I actually used 2 cups of broth like the blog suggested, but I thought the veggies came out pretty soggy so I'm hoping less broth would help prevent this a little. Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve over brown rice if desired. Enjoy!

No comments: