Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Cake Dice

We love game night. Chase and I have been blessed to find a few other couples who love game night as much as we do, making it a monthly priority. And what better opportunity to try out party food recipes and bite sized snacks than on game night?

I made cake pops at Thanksgiving. Not because I thought they were a good Thanksgiving Day dessert, but because I really wanted to make them and this was the time I had to do it. Ever since then, I’ve been wanting to make them again but just haven’t had the time. I had the idea to make cake dice awhile ago and was extremely excited to make these for the game night we were hosting.

If you’ve ever made cake pops before, you know they have a lot of steps. Lots of mixing, baking, cooling, crumbling, mixing, rolling, freezing, dipping, freezing, etc. Given the time commitment these were taking, I opted for a boxed cake mix and store bought icing. I know it’s not as delicious as homemade, but these still got devoured pretty quickly.

What you’ll need:
A Baked cake-you can do this anyway you like. I use 2 9-inch pans because they bake a little faster than making one large cake. You can bake a 9x13 if that’s the pan that is available to you.
1 Container of Frosting
A mixing bowl
Square/rectangular freezer safe dish (I used a 9x9 inch baking dish)
Parchment Paper
Almond bark
Double boiler or microwave safe bowl
Writing Icing tubes or icing bags to make dots

Once the cake has completely cooled, crumble it into the mixing bowl using your hands and a fork. Take out any “overcooked” pieces that won’t crumble. Mix in the icing until the crumbs stick together well and balls could be formed. I usually use about half-3/4 of a container of icing.

Line the freezer safe dish with parchment paper, leaving ends overlapping for easy removal. This part is key as it will be nearly impossible to get the cake out of the pan in a neat fashion otherwise. Press the cake/icing mix into the freezer safe dish, packing it as tightly and smoothly as you can. Place in freezer for about 15-20 minutes to allow the cake to firm up.



Once the cake is firm, remove it from the dish by lifting the parchment out. You did leave it overlapping, right? Okay good. :)

Trim the edges so they are nice and straight if needed. Slice a grid pattern across the cake. I chose not to take the time to measure these so my dice are all different shapes and sizes. You may want to measure if you're more concerned about this.



Melt your almond bark in a microwave safe bowl or over the double boiler. Add Crisco or a slight amount of vegetable oil to the bark to thin it out a bit. This will make it easier to coat the cake. Hold 1 cake square on a fork and using a spoon, pour the almond bark over the cake. I tried dipping at first but this method got more cake crumbs in the bark. Pouring it over the top allowed for a smoother finish. Place the cake on a cookie sheet lined with parchment to allow the almond bark to set.

Note: Depending on how long this process takes you, you may need to refreeze the cake for about 10 minutes, allowing it to reset as it gets soft the longer it sits out.

Once you have coated all the cake squares (and it has hardened), add the dots in a fun color! I only added dots to 5 sides, but if you were really adventurous and wanted to make fondant dots, you could probably do all 6 sides. While I would love to do this, I just don't have the patience to do that for all 30 or so dice I made. It would be really cute for a few big dice though!







No comments: