Sunday, September 18, 2011

Black Bean Brownies




I’m on a green tea kick. I rediscovered it last Friday and have been sipping on it ever since. It’s hot. It’s comforting. It’s relaxing. It makes me feel good inside. It’s replacing my morning coffee this week, at least during the work week.

I’m going through an internal struggle with baking. One side of me loves it and wants to do it all day long. The other side of me is tired and unmotivated, especially when it’s 8:00 at night before we get done working out and eating dinner. Last weekend I wanted to bake. But then we went on a bike ride and my mind wanted to be lazy the rest of the day. Insert black bean brownies.

Black bean brownies. Maybe you’ve heard of them, maybe not. The idea is simple. The preparation is fast. The taste is chocolaty. The texture is…slightly off. These brownies are dense. Chase described them best when comparing them to the Little Debbie cosmic brownies. Overall assessment, a relatively tasty and healthy alternative. I’d make them again. I had mine a la mode (which took away some of the health benefits but ice cream is always worth it).



Black Bean Brownies

Ingredients:
1 Box of Brownie Mix
1 Can of low sodium black beans

1. Drain the beans and rinse well.
2. Put the beans back in the can and fill the remaining space in the can with water.
3. Blend the beans with the water in a blender or food processer until all the beans have been pureed. This will be a watery mixture, not a creamy puree.( Just make sure the beans have all been pulverized and don’t have large chunks floating around. Nobody wants actual black beans mixed in with their brownies.)
4. Combine the black bean puree and the brownie mix in a mixing bowl. Stir until moist all the way through.
5. Pour brownie mix into a prepared baking pan of your choice and bake at the temperature/time combo listed on the brownie mix.

No comments: