Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Emmy Post 6

This post is for Outstanding Writing.

Writing for a Drama Series
Nominees:
  • Matthew Weiner, “Mad Men”
  • Maria Jacquemetton and Andre Jacquemetton, “Mad Men”
  • Jason Katims, “Friday Night Lights”
  • David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, “Game of Thrones”
  • Veena Sud, “The Killing”

My Vote: Matthew Weiner for Mad Men. A close contender would be Game of Thrones.

Writing for a Comedy Series
Nominees:
  • David Crane and Jeffrey Klarik, “Episodes”
  • Greg Daniels, “The Office”
  • Steven Levitan and Jeffrey Richman, “Modern Family”
  • Louis C.K., “Louie”
  • Matt Hubbard, “30 Rock”

My Vote: I’m torn between The Office or Louie. I thought the “Goodbye, Michael” episode had the right mix of humor and emotion and was a good sendoff for the World’s Greatest Boss. But I also like the caustic humor and observation of ridiculous social situations on Louie. Ok, Louie it is.

Writing for a Miniseries, Movie, or Dramatic Special
Nominees:
  • Todd Haynes and Jon Raymond, “Mildred Pierce”
  • Julian Fellowes, “Downton Abbey”
  • Steven Moffat, “Sherlock: A Study in Pink”
  • Peter Gould, “Too Big to Fail”
  • Heidi Thomas, “Upstairs Downstairs”

My Vote: I really hope Steven Moffat wins this. I loved this episode and I thought it was a wonderful retelling of the World’s Second Greatest Detective (Batman is the first, of course).


Writing for a Variety, Music, or Comedy Series
Nominees:
  • Various writers, “The Colbert Report”
  • Various writers, “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon”
  • Various writers, “Saturday Night Live”
  • Various writers, “Conan”
  • Various writers, “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart”

My Vote: The Colbert Report and The Daily Show are always strong contenders for this award. Though it seems like brothers vying for the same girl. Is that a bad analogy? Oh, well. I give it to The Daily Show.

No comments: