Sunday, September 18, 2011

Emmy Post 8

Today is the Emmys. So, let’s finish out this series with taking a look at…well, series.

Drama Series
Nominees:
  • Boardwalk Empire
  • Dexter
  • Friday Night Lights
  • Game of Thrones
  • The Good Wife
  • Mad Men

My Vote: Boardwalk Empire will be taking the Emmy home. It’s a show I definitely want to check out given everything I’ve read. Mad Men didn’t fair too well in the Creative Arts Emmys which leads me to believe that its 3-year streak of best drama win might be at end. It’s great to see Game of Thrones up there as a nominee, but genre shows never do well in big name categories. (A genre show is usually a sci-fi or fantasy show.) For some reason these never seem to be worthy of a win. It’s always beneath the regal, pompous sensibilities of the judges.

Comedy Series
Nominees:
  • 30 Rock
  • The Big Bang Theory
  • Glee
  • Modern Family
  • The Office
  • Parks and Recreation

My Vote: Like my thoughts regarding Steve Carell, I wonder if The Office will be chosen because of the lead character’s swan song exit. I don’t see The Big Bang Theory or Glee as contenders. I think this will come down between 30 Rock, Modern Family, and Parks and Recreation. I would like to see Parks and Rec win as this has been their strongest season so far, but the critical darling of the judges will probably fall to Modern Family.


Miniseries or TV Movie
Nominees:
  • Cinema Verite
  • Downton Abbey
  • The Kennedys
  • Mildred Pierce
  • The Pillars of the Earth
  • Too Big to Fail

My Vote: The Kennedys and The Pillars of the Earth won’t be making the cut. Cinema Verite has a mild chance because of some of its wins in the Creative Arts, but the potentials I see are Downton Abbey, Mildred Pierce, and Too Big to Fail. I’m not sure how many times a British Masterpiece series like Downton has been nominated, let alone won, but it seems unlikely. Given that, I see Mildred Pierce as taking home the Emmy.

Variety, Music, or Comedy Series
Nominees:
  • The Colbert Report
  • Conan
  • The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
  • Late Night with Jimmy Fallon
  • Real Time with Bill Maher
  • Saturday Night Live

My Vote: Melissa and I have watched more SNL this season than we ever have before and I think it’s been because of the quality of the guest stars. But I don’t think that’s enough to earn it an Emmy. Conan could really use this win and its associated publicity because its ratings haven’t been as strong as TBS anticipated. However, I still think The Daily Show continues to put forward a show with outstanding quality and will win.


Reality-Competition Program
Nominees:
  • So You Think You Can Dance
  • The Amazing Race
  • Project Runway
  • American Idol
  • Dancing with the Stars
  • Top Chef

My Vote: I refuse to consider SYTYCD, Idol, or Dancing. I think dancing shows are ridiculous and I’ve never seen the appeal of Idol; I have never seen a single episode and I’m proud of that. So, that leaves Amazing Race, Project Runway, and Top Chef. I’ve never seen Amazing Race. The closest I’ve come is watching a French-like version in Blois called Pekin Express. If The Amazing Race is anything like that then it’s a strong contender. With the move of Project Runway from Bravo to Lifetime the show’s running time increased from 60 minutes to 90 minutes. It was kind of a lackluster season. I had started to record this season, but I had a lack of enthusiasm for it and eventually canceled the recording. I’m willing to waste an hour of my life on fashion, but not 90 minutes. Sorry, Heidi. However, I thought Top Chef had a great season. It brought back runners-up and fan favorites of past seasons for a great competition culminating with the Top Chef crown given to Richard Blais (who was my favorite from the beginning). I hope Top Chef gets to take home the Emmy.

No comments: