Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Couscous Salad


It's Wednesday and I am still feeling motivated to begin painting our office this weekend. So motivated in fact, that I'm even thinking about taking off work Friday to get a start on it. Please God, just let this motivation last through the weekend.

Couscous is one of my favorite grains. Between couscous and quinoa, I could die a happy girl. This couscous salad is my own concoction, created after reading a few different recipes. It's really a summer dish, best with cucumbers and tomatoes picked fresh from the garden. However, since it's so good and so easy, I make it year round. It's a good side dish for dinner with chicken, next to a sandwich at lunch, or even as a small snack on it's own.

Couscous Salad

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked couscous
1/2 cup cucumber slices, halved or quartered so they are bite size
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (or more to taste)
1/4-1/2 cup feta cheese

Directions

1. Cook couscous according to package directions. Add cooked couscous, cucumber, and tomatoes to a bowl and stir to combine.



2. In a small bowl, combine olive oil and vinegar and whisk briskly until well mixed. Add extra oil or vinegar according to your tastes. I like vinegar a lot so I tend to make mine with a stroner vinegar flavor. Pour oil and vinegar mixture over the couscous mixture and stir until dressing is fully incorporated.




3. Add feta cheese and stir one last time to combine.

This can be served immediately, but I like it best chilled. It will keep in the refrigerator for about 4 or 5 days, just be sure to stir it well as the dressing will settle to the bottom as it sits.

No comments: